Sunday, October 22, 2006

file under: requiem pour un camera

about ten years ago, i bought this cheapie minolta camera so that i could "take notes" while walking around the neighborhood. its lens didn't have much range, but it served me well nonetheless.

since that time, it's made the journey to the east coast with me, was the sole provider of images from the nyc days, and even helped me familiarize myself with toronto for 2 1/2 years. but i think the time has come to admit that our digital camera has relegated it to the dustbin of the 20th century.

it took me 8 months to get through my most recent roll of 24 pictures, starting in the beginning of the year with a snapshot of my favorite local store signage

strictly culture in a roots radics sense of the word

on to failed attempts at capturing the dirty snow (with cigarette butts!) of late february, followed by shots of the local mural near the no frills

murals are becoming an obsession of mine

then on to my first trip to a cottage in the summer, followed by an august wedding in ottawa (at which point i must've taken this utterly baffling masterpiece)

baffling!mystery!

through such fleeting moments as this from-the-hip ambush shot of N in our building's hallway

somewhat like champagne bubbles

and finally ending with one shot of the building under demolition i mentioned yesterday. it was almost fitting that the roll would wind down so resolutely on that day.

but for reals: if it takes me that long to take 24 shots, despite having so many picture-worthy opportunities over 3 seasonal interludes, it can only mean we were using the digital camera most of the time. sadly, our little trooper of a minolta has outlived its utility and needs to be put down. rest in peace, my trusty travelling companion - we'll always have the box of photos to remember thee by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home