Tuesday, January 23, 2007

file under: in the neighborhood

after a very good vegetarian dinner at JS and VF's house (the texture of that fake chicken was seriously amazing), we all walked to queen street in order to catch our various forms of transpo for the night's further activities - N going home (work tomorrow! hahaha); JS and VF going to a birthday party for a friend's cat; and me heading off to my night shift (as usual).

on the way, JS was telling me about his times living a few blocks away from the hospital where i work, about how a prostitute jumped into the passenger seat of the van his dad was driving on the day JS moved in. the neighborhood he and VF live in now has its share of addicts and crime as well, but he was telling me it has a sense of community that the area around the hospital simply doesn't have.

as if to prove that point somehow, i was only two steps through the front door when i walked into an unfolding mise en scene in the hospital lobby: 3 security guards standing in front of a homeless man who was so inebriated he could hardly keep his head upright. he had apparently plopped down in one of the wheelchairs in the lobby and was trying to leave with it. security had explained to him that he couldn't just take a wheelchair with him, so he kept yelling "BUT I CAN'T WALK!!!"

i could hear him yelling from the other end of the long hallway, on my way up the stairs and around the corner, to my desk behind electronic swipe doors.

BUT I CAN'T WALK!!!

BUT I CAN'T WALK!!!

BUT I CAN'T WALK!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home